Home > Drivers > Applying for driver accreditation

Applying for driver accreditation

How long do police checks take?

Accredited bodies, police agencies and the ACIC work together to deliver the service, aiming to process 95 per cent of police checks within 10 business days, noting that:

  • around 70 per cent of police checks are completed in real-time with results being returned to the organisation that requested the check within minutes
  • around 30 per cent of police checks are referred to one or more police agencies for manual processing because a ‘potential match’ is found. On limited occasions, this process can take longer than 10 business days due to the complexity of the check.

A ‘potential match’ may be found if the applicant shares similar details with other individuals recorded in police systems, particularly if they have a common name. Processing of a police check in these instances can take longer. Other reasons why some checks take longer than others to process may include:

  • The check subject having old police information that requires manual collection and processing of hardcopy records
  • The relevant police agency having inaccurate or incomplete records which need to be investigated properly before the check can be finalised
  • Transferring information between the various state and territory police agencies before the information can be vetted and/or released, and
  • Workloads within each police agency.

For further information please visit ACIC’s website.

Want to drive a commercial passenger vehicle (CPV) or bus for work in Victoria? You will need permission from us – we call this ‘driver accreditation’.

Want to know the ins and outs of being a CPV driver? Check out our handy guide here.

When you apply to be a driver, we need to make sure you can provide safe services. We check if you are medically fit and have a good driving history, and we also check your criminal history.

Once you have accreditation you can work as a CPV or bus driver across Victoria, including trips in border regions that start in Victoria.

Accreditation is ‘perpetual’. This means that as long as you continue to meet all relevant responsibilities and requirements, your accreditation will not expire.

On this page:

Who needs driver accreditation?

You need driver accreditation if you want to drive a CPV for payment. CPVs include taxis, rideshare vehicles, hire cars and limousines.

You also need accreditation to drive a bus if:

  • the vehicle you drive for work is owned by an accredited bus operator OR
  • you drive a 10, 11 or 12-seat (including the driver) commercial mini-bus owned by a registered bus operator.

If you are an accredited CPV driver from another state or territory in Australia, or New Zealand, you may be eligible for driver accreditation in Victoria under ‘mutual recognition’. Learn more here.

Before you start your application

Check that you are eligible to apply. You must:

  • have a full, current Victorian driver licence
  • have held a full Australian or New Zealand driver licence for at least six months.

Do not start a new application if you:

  • have a current driver accreditation
  • have an expired driver accreditation
  • have already started or submitted an application for accreditation
  • want to change the type of service you offer – find out how to do this here.

You can check if you have a current accreditation on the Public Register.

If you are already accredited and you lodge another application, it will be refused and we won’t refund your application fee.

How much does it cost to apply for driver accreditation?

For the current driver accreditation application fee see Fees and charges.

Please note, this fee is non-refundable, even if your application is refused or withdrawn. For further information on payments, see Fees and charges.

You can only pay your application fee by card.

Apply for driver accreditation

The application process has 5 simple steps.

Step 1: Sign up to the CPVV User Portal

You need an account with the CPVV User Portal to apply for driver accreditation.

If you don't already have an account, sign up here, then follow the prompts.

If you already have an account, log in here.

Step 2: Upload your current valid Victorian driver licence and a driver licence selfie

We need a self-captured photo (selfie) showing you holding your current valid Victorian driver licence next to your face. Please make sure we can see your face clearly and that the driver licence you are holding is clear and readable. This helps us confirm the link between you and the identity you are claiming.

Acceptable photo

acceptable for proof of identity

Unacceptable photos

Shows examples of unacceptable proof of identity photos (selfies) for driver accreditation application - full face not visible, too dark, too bright, photo covered, face covered and blurry.

Step 3: Provide copies of your proof of identification documents

These documents must be clear and easy to read. If they are not, we will take longer to process your application.

We cannot accept credit or debit cards as proof of identity.

You must provide 1 document from this list:

  • full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
  • current Australian passport (not expired)
  • Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist
  • ImmiCard issued by Immigration and Border Protection that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services
  • certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
  • document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to Australian citizens or persons who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes
  • certificate of evidence of resident status.

You must provide 2 different documents from this list:

  • certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • foreign government issued documents (for example, drivers’ licence)
  • Medicare card
  • enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
  • security guard or crowd control photo licence
  • evidence of right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs)
  • consular photo identity card issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force
  • photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
  • photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government
  • Aviation Security Identification Card
  • Maritime Security Identification card
  • credit reference check
  • Australian tertiary student photo identity document
  • Australian secondary student photo identity document
  • certified academic transcript from an Australian university
  • trusted referees report.

If you have changed your name or use a different name on different documents

If you have different names on any of the documents you supply (for example, one document has your maiden name, and another your married name), you must submit one of the following documents:

  • marriage certificate issued by a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia
  • divorce papers showing the name you reverted to
  • Deed Poll (issued before November 1986 in Victoria)
  • Change of Name Certificate (issued after November 1986 in Victoria).

Step 4: Complete your medical self-assessment

To complete this process, please follow the prompts provided through the CPVV User Portal.

Your application may be approved or declined based on the result of your medical check. You’ll need to repeat the check at least once every three years.

Step 5: Pay your application fee

Pay your fee by card through the User Portal.

What happens next

We will assess your application and let you know as soon as possible if it’s been successful. We may also contact you for more information or documentation to support your application.

We may refuse your application based on your medical or police check. You can ask us to review this decision. Learn about National Police History Checks.

What we do with your data

Your personal information gets managed in line with industry standards. We only use your contact details to contact you about your driver accreditation and the industry.

If your application is successful, the following will also display on our Public Register:

  • your name
  • driver certificate number (e.g. DC12345)
  • if you can provide wheelchair accessible services.

For more information, read our privacy policy. You can also read the Victoria Protective Data Security Standards.

Maintaining your driver accreditation

For information on how to stay accredited as a CPV driver, see Maintain your driver accreditation.

Want to drive wheelchair accessible vehicles?

You can apply to have the W-endorsement added to your driver accreditation. The W-endorsement gives you permission to drive a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV).

This means you will be able to provide services in WAVs as well other CPVs. To get the W-endorsement, you need to pass a test.

Learn more about the W-endorsement

Further information

Email us at driver@cpv.vic.gov.au for more information about the driver accreditation application process.

Want to know the ins and outs of being a CPV driver? Check out our handy guide here.