Driving instructor FAQs

  • A new permit system for anyone travelling into Victoria is in place.

Can I renew my driving instructor authorisation?

Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), CPVV have paused issuing renewals for currently authorised driving instructors. This means some driving instructors will be authorised, but may not be in possession of an up-to-date Authority card or ID card to prove this. To check whether a driving instructor is currently authorised, please visit the Public Register and enter their DIA number.

Is CPVV offering any financial help to authorised driving instructors during the pandemic?

CPVV appreciates the financial difficulties that many Victorians are facing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. To assist, we are pausing the driving instructor authority renewal fees until further notice. This includes any renewal invoice received recently. Please do not pay these until further notice.

Do CPV industry cleaning laws apply to driving instructors?

Vehicle cleaning laws for the CPV industry are in effect from 18 November 2020.

These laws do not apply to driving instructors. But you should still clean regularly and follow all advice from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Our infographic on the safest way to clean CPVs may also be useful for you:

Reduce the risk - how to clean CPVs PDF, 840.4 KB

Do I need to make hand sanitiser available for students?

An approved hand sanitiser must be available to CPV passengers for every CPV trip that starts in Victoria. Driving instructors are not required to have hand sanitiser in their vehicle, but we strongly recommend it.

We also recommend using a hand sanitiser with more than 60% alcohol content - in line with CPV industry laws.

Roadmap for reopening

Can driving instructors provide their services under the roadmap for reopening?

Driving instructors are allowed to operate under each step of the roadmap for reopening.

There are no restrictions relating to where in Victoria the instructor operates or who they can provide their services to.

All businesses and industries permitted to operate in Victoria must follow the COVIDSafe principles:

  • ensure physical distancing (1.5 metres)
  • practice good hygiene
  • keep good records and act quickly if staff become unwell
  • avoid interactions in enclosed spaces where possible
  • create workforce bubbles
  • wear a fitted face mask. A fitted face mask must cover the nose and mouth. Face shields, bandanas, or scarves on their own are not acceptable face coverings.

All businesses in Victoria that have people working on or customers attending any premises must have a COVIDSafe plan in place..

Each industry will also have a different restriction level depending on which step we are in. They are detailed in the links below:

What is a workforce bubble?

In creating a workforce bubble you should keep groups of workers rostered on the same shifts and limit the number of workers working across multiple sites.

Fill details of workforce bubbles are outlined as part of a COVIDSafe plan.

Do driving instructors need a COVIDSafe plan?

Yes. All businesses in Victoria that have people working on or customers attending any premises must have a COVIDSafe plan in place.

A driving instructor providing lessons in their vehicle is considered to have onsite operations under these restrictions.

What requirements do driving instructors have to have in place to operate?

For a driving instructor to operate in any Step of the roadmap, you must:

  • Wear a fitted face mask when when working (unless you have a lawful reason not to). If you are driving alone or only travelling with people from your household, you do not need to wear a face mask. However, if you are going through a drive-thru, or are winding down your window to speak to someone, you must wear a fitted face mask. When leaving your vehicle and away from home, you must put on a face mask when indoors or where you can’t maintain 1.5 metres distance from others.
  • clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in your vehicle with recommended products, after each lesson.
  • comply with your COVIDSafe plan.
  • not attend work if you are unwell or displaying even the mildest of symptoms. If you have symptoms, however mild, get tested and then stay home until you get your result.