Passenger FAQs

Should passengers wear a face mask? (updated 21/12/20)

Yes. Face masks must be worn in rideshare vehicles and taxis.

You must also wear a fitted face mask when you are in an airport terminal. It is strongly recommended you wear a face mask while on any flight.

A fitted face mask must cover the nose and mouth.

There are exemptions for individuals with breathing difficulties, and those who have physical conditions that make it difficult to wear a face mask. For information about face mask suppliers and how to wear a face mask, see here.

See the Department of Health and Human Services website for more information.

For more information about restrictions in Victoria, visit

I’m a member of the Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP). Am I allowed to travel? (updated 7/12/20)

There are currently no restrictions on distance or where a passenger may travel when using a commercial passenger vehicle service in Victoria. Passengers can travel for any reason or any distance.

You must not travel if you are unwell or have even mild coronavirus (COVID-19 symptoms. If you are sick, stay home and get tested.

You must also wear a face mask when travelling in a CPV, unless you have a lawful exemption.

Can I use a commercial passenger vehicle if I am displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) or travelling to a place of self-isolation?

Wherever possible, unwell passengers should use a personal mode of transport to minimise exposure to others.

If you do need to use a commercial passenger vehicle to travel to a location for isolation and you are displaying symptoms, then you should avoid contact with others (stay more than 1.5 metres from people).

You should sit in the back seat to achieve as much separation as is reasonably possible.

You should use hand sanitisers with at least 60 per cent alcohol, if available.

If the driver believes you have not taken the above precautions and cannot provide a safe service, then the driver may choose to refuse or terminate the trip.

It is never OK for drivers to refuse or cancel a trip based on a passenger’s nationality, disability or cultural background. There are equal opportunity and anti-discrimination laws that apply to fare refusal.

Can I pay my fare in cash?

A booking service provider may have their own policy regarding cash payments. You should check with the booking service provider or driver before riding in a commercial passenger vehicle. Digital and contactless payment methods are recommended where possible.

If you do pay in cash, you should wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or hand sanitiser with at least 60 per cent alcohol after handling it.

Are drivers required to clean their vehicles after each trip to minimise the impact of the virus?

Drivers have been advised to clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in their vehicle after each passenger and after each driver with recommended products. For more information see Vehicle cleaning.

They are also advised to regularly wash their own hands thoroughly with soap and water, or use hand sanitiser with at least 60 per cent alcohol. Guidance on the cleaning of frequently touched surfaces is available here.

It is also recommended that drivers keep a box of tissues in the car.

Victorian border (updated 15/1/21)

Can passengers travelling from another state or territory use a CPV service to enter Victoria?

Yes. However from 11 January 2021, all entry into Victoria requires a permit.

The permit system addresses an ongoing need for Victoria to maintain vigilance over its borders to protect the community. The permit system is based on a traffic light system in which areas across Australia are designated as green, orange or red zones according to their risk, and apply to both travellers to Victoria and residents of Victoria returning from interstate travel.

Information on the Victorian Travel Permit System can be found here.

You should check Victorian Travel Permit System | Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria to see what zones you have been in and if you are eligible for entry into Victoria. Zones may change regularly, and you should check these prior to applying for a permit.

Those living in designated Victoria/NSW border communities will continue to be exempt from obtaining and carrying a permit. If you live within one of the designated border areas, you can use a form of official photo identification that shows your residential address. If you have been in an orange or red zone in the last 14 days you will need to apply for a permit. More information on border communities can be found here.

Residents of South Australia/Victoria border communities will require a permit to enter Victoria.

Passengers are responsible for ensuring they meet the requirements for the Victorian border crossing. The border crossing permit application form is available at

CPV drivers are not responsible for ensuring their passengers meet the required entry requirements. This is the responsibility of passengers.