Home > Drivers > Independent service providers

Independent service providers

Commercial Passenger Vehicle (CPV) owners can choose to join an existing Booking Service Provider (BSP) or set up as an independent service provider.

Key requirements to operate as an independent service provider

Determine if you need to register as a BSP

Generally, a person that receives requests for CPVs and arranges or facilitates the acceptance of those requests by or on behalf of drivers of CPVs needs to be registered as a BSP. There are some exceptions.

For more information, please visit What is a Booking Service Provider?

Once registered as a BSP, these vehicle owners must comply with additional responsibilities and obligations, which can be viewed here in Provider responsibilities.

Provide CPVV with your bank account details

For trip subsidy purposes under the Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP), any vehicle owner wishing to become an independent service provider must provide Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV) with their bank account details.

Vehicle owners must fill out the Vendor Creation or Amendment Request form.

Vendor Creation or Amendment Request form PDF, 152.1 KB

Once the form is filled out correctly, it must be returned to CPVV by either emailing a copy to contact@cpv.vic.gov.au


return by mail, addressed to:

CPVV Corporate Services
GPO Box 1716
Melbourne VIC 3001

Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP) payment terminal

As a provider of unbooked (taxi) services, vehicle owners are required to use an approved MPTP payment terminal for processing fares under the Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP).

At this stage, payment terminals that process MPTP transactions are only available through Cabcharge Australia and NetCabs Pty Ltd and you will need to apply directly to those organisations.

New applicants may visit the Cabcharge website to register their interest in becoming a merchant partner.

New merchants must complete and submit applications via Cabcharge’s online form.

For enquiries, Cabcharge can be contacted on 1800 652 229.

CPVV notes that 13CABs (Oakleigh) is willing to install the payment terminal for vehicle owners, provided the vehicle owner has set everything up with Cabcharge directly.

NetCabs Pty Ltd can be contacted on telephone 03 8394 6812.

Vehicle owner responsibilities

CPV services in Victoria are guided by the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Industry Regulations 2018 (the regulations) and the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Industry Act 2017 (the Act).

Vehicle owners and booking service providers must understand and meet their obligations under the regulations and the Act. Requirements that apply now, or will be introduced shortly, include record keeping, consumer protections, safety duties, incident notifications and complaints management. To view the regulations and the Act visit the acts and regulations page.


Vehicles providing unbooked services (taxis) require:

  • a fare calculation device (taximeter)
  • a CPVV approved security camera (metropolitan/urban/large regional only)
  • tactile signs fitted next to door handles
  • electronic payment terminal (for MPTP transactions) – see above
  • taxi number plates (issued by VicRoads)
  • security camera labels (inside/outside) if applicable
  • fare information (inside/outside). You can download fare labels for unbooked services from this website.

Please note:

  • roof signs (roof domes) are no longer required, but may be fitted
  • CPV service providers must provide their own labels/signs including passenger fare labels and security camera labels – see link to fare templates above
  • vehicles providing unbooked services (taxis) may be painted in any colour
  • the Authority to Register form is still issued by CPVV and vehicle owners must present this form to VicRoads.

If you require further information refer to this website or please contact us by phone: 1800 638 802.