Home > Drivers > Mutual recognition

Mutual recognition

What is mutual recognition?

The Mutual Recognition Agreement, entered into the by the States and Territories, allows a skill or training to be recognised Australia-wide.

Commercial Passenger Vehicle Drivers and Driving Instructors are covered under the Mutual Recognition Agreement implemented through the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) on 11 May 1992.

Driver accreditation

You’re eligible to apply for mutual recognition if you’re currently an accredited commercial passenger vehicle driver (taxi or hire car, including rideshare) from another state or territory in Australia or New Zealand, except New South Wales.

As the New South Wales government no longer accredits commercial passenger vehicles (taxi and hire cars, including rideshare) we can only accept mutual recognition applications for bus accreditation from that state.

You may apply for mutual recognition of your driver accreditation by submitting:

  • the Mutual recognition declaration PDF, 320.9 KB
  • a certified copy of your current full Victorian driver licence (you may present your original copy if you’re submitting a form in person at our Customer Service Centre)
  • If you have not held your Victorian licence for more than six months you must provide evidence of having held another full Australian state, territory or New Zealand licence for six months or more, with no conditions imposed on it
  • a certified copy of your current interstate commercial passenger vehicle driver authority.

For more information see the fact sheet on commercial passenger vehicle interstate and New Zealand driving history PDF, 400.9 KB.

Driving Instructor Authorisation

Driving instructors holding the equivalent of Victoria’s Driving Instructor Authority (DIA) from another state or territory in Australia, or New Zealand, are also eligible to apply for mutual recognition using the same form Mutual recognition declaration PDF, 320.9 KB

What happens after you’ve submitted your application for driver accreditation or DIA?

Once you have submitted your completed application and supporting documents, and you have successfully met all the application requirements, you are considered deemed to be accredited to drive a commercial passenger vehicle, private bus or driving instructor. You can then begin driving a commercial passenger vehicle or providing commercial driving instructor services immediately for the type of commercial passenger vehicle or instructing in the transmission type you hold in the other state/territory/New Zealand.

We will contact the interstate/territory/New Zealand authority to confirm the details of your accreditation/authority.  Until your application is processed, you must comply with the following:

  • you must have your accreditation from the interstate/territory/New Zealand authority on you at all times while driving a commercial passenger vehicle authority in Victoria
  • you must comply with any limits, conditions or undertakings applying to your accreditation in your original state/territory/New Zealand
  • you must comply with all the conditions applying in Victoria to accreditation holders (insert link). We may take compliance, enforcement or disciplinary action against you before your application for mutual recognition is finally determined.

You will be allocated a unique identifier by us.

If you are granted accreditation at the end of the application process, a Victorian Certificate of Accreditation (or authority cards for driving instructors) will be posted to you. Please note, your details will not appear on the public register until your application has been finalised.

Please visit the public register webpage to learn more.